Click to zoom …
Walden’s claim is backed by the fact that Walden Beck flows through the village.
Wensleydale is the older brother and pulls rank when the subject is raised, but it’s generally accepted that West Burton belongs to Bishopdale – often using its Sunday name of Burton in Bishopdale.
The Templars chapel founded in the early C13th was dedicated to God, the Virgin and St. Catherine, who happens to be the patron saint of linen weavers.
The Templars are known to have worn linen garments, except in winter.The Templars offered shelter to travellers at their hospice known as Temple Dowskar. The brotherhood in Wensleydale was treated harshly when the order lost favour. The master of Penhill was among twenty or so incarcerated at York in 1309. Leave at the lower end of the village after passing the famous Cat Pottery studios. Swing right at Mill House, with the roar of Cauldron Force obvious.
Cross the bridge (1860) turning right, then left, to climb the steps. Swing right at the small gate then cross an open pasture heading towards Barrack Wood. Cross the stile into the wood – signpost Hudson Quarry Lane. The wood displays bluebell, primrose, violet and wild garlic in springtime. Soon after passing a left bend, pass through a stone gap stile. A long, upward slog commences.
Follow a clear path, rising steadily upwards to another stile. Veer half right towards a broken wall, then follow the path which zigzags steeply up the hillside. The vistas improve with every step, so pause frequently to enjoy them! Spread your map out and pinpoint the various locations.
From the next stile march straight ahead along a green swathe making for the gate and Hudson’s Quarry Lane. The hard work is completed.
Swing left toward Morpeth Scar and walk proudly along a flat, green plateau enjoying this exhilarating high level tramp. Hop over a ladder stile then maintain the same course to reach Morpeth Scar and a junction. Turn right at the junction.
The route continues eastwards along High Lane hundreds of feet beneath the summit of Penhill on the right. At a junction close to a large Hawthorn bush and with a signpost to Black Scar (right) swing left into a walled track. The track twists and turns and descends towards Chantry Caravan Park. Seek a signpost to the Templars Chapel on the left opposite the park entrance.
Pass through the gate to walk along a delightful route known as Langthwaite Lane for almost a mile. Cross a stile then walk with a wall to the left to enter an open pasture with a stile in the right hand corner. Castle Bolton should be in view across the valley. Cross this stile and veer right to descend along a concreted track. Vacate this on the left at the first bend, to cross a grass swathe running between two plantations to arrive at a gate with an ancient boundary stone (1865) nearby. Beyond the gate lie the scant ruins of the Templars chapel.
Pass through the adjacent stiles and head towards Morpeth Gate ignore the track which goes downhill to the right of the trees ahead, and instead go forward keeping the trees on your right. Eventually the path passes through a wide gate and descends along a green track towards another gate. This leads into a stony track known as Morpeth Gate – turn right and descend to West Burton, which is reached by turning left after the bridge.
Nearest Train (or tube) Station(s):