This circular walk starts in the Stables Courtyard at the National Trust’s Attingham Park and follows the deer park walk through beautiful parkland on this great estate.
Attingham’s walled garden and orchard were probably built at the same time as the mansion in the 1780s for the first Lord Berwick. The gardens provided the Berwicks with a constant supply of fruit, flowers, vegetables and honey.
It’s still home to the Attingham bees who can be seen hard at work in the observation hive. For some family fun, make your way through the orchard to the Shoulder of Mutton playfield to let off some steam or head to the frame yard to help the gardeners water their plants and crops.
The River Tern is only 30 miles long flowing into the River Severn about a mile downstream. It’s thought that its source is a lake in the grounds of Maer Hall in Staffordshire.
Attingham is home to approximately 250 semi-wild fallow deer, all direct descendants of those originally at the Deer Park in 1797.
Attingham’s last lord Thomas was particularly fond of the deer and fed them daily, with some of his favourite deer eating from his hand.
Nearest Train (or tube) Station(s):