Want to know how to prep for a camping trip? Here is Julia Bradbury’s top camping checklist:
- Prepare for rain. A ground sheet is a must, even if it’s not raining while you’re camping the ground will probably be damp so keep out the moisture.
- Go to bed warm, if you get in a sleeping bag warm then you will sleep better. So do a little dance. Wear a pair of fluffy socks, whatever you need to do to raise your body temperature.
- Pack the Citronella candles to fight off the midges.
- Take proper walking boots if you’re planning to explore.
- Pack a head torch for the night time wee.
- Pack a First Aid kit including midge spray, incase the citronella doesn’t work
- Take a proper pillow! Good for the journey and cosy for the tent.
- Do a bit of research on camp fire cuisine, it is surprisingly easy and you can let the kids have a go at cooking too. (Don’t forget the tin foil). ‘Pitch Up, Eat Local’ by Ali Ray is a great camping cookbook.
- Don’t forget the tent pegs! We have all done it. There are only so much cutlery that can be used instead.
- Remember to have fun, have a morning dance looking out at something beautiful and let the kids run wild and get muddy.
Some great gear and gadgets to go camping with: